From:
"Yoel L. Arbeitman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:46:29 -0400
Walter Meyer wrote:

>Supposing that Egptian performers or performers from other Arab countries
>would be interested in coming to Israel to perform music that Israeli
>Jews would be interested in hearing, how easy would it be for them to
>get permission to come to Israel?  This is not a rhetorical question.
>I'm really curious.

I find your post of interest, but there is really too much in it to reply
to. I have just read it and only because I should like to add a new story
from today:

   http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/25/1061663731161.html

Let me just note that the majority of the Israeli population, last I
heard, was of Sephardic and/ or Mizrachi (Near-Eastern) origin, speaking
Arabic and being either refugees or the children of refugees from many
of the 22 odd Arabic countries spreading from the Mughrab up to Iran.
Many of those persons indeed would have rejoiced to hear Near Eastern
musical performers and there was some discussion of that some time ago.
I am afraid that at the present time things are far worse than at various
times of hope.  I am quite sure however that we cannot deal adequately
with such matters on a music list.  I have yet to read Mr. Schwartz's
comments, but shall shortly.

Best,
Yoel