From:
David Delucia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 18:15:21 EDT
Don Satz wrote:

>In the referenced NewYorker article provided by Janos, Wild not only
>jabs at Lang Lang and Brendel.  He also states that Martha Argerich
>"can't play eight bars in the same tempo".
>
>Those types of remarks sadden me a little.  I don't think it's becoming
>to insult fellow artists and performers, and nothing favorable can result
>from such statements.  I'll just have to conclude that Wild's music-making
>is more impressive than his vocalizing.

Hi- I would have to disagree with Don on this one...to me, Mr.  Wild is
just stating the obvious.  Argerich's erratic tempi are well known, as
is Lang-Lang's showmanship.  As to the hapless Brendel, I have had the
(mis) fortune to hear him live and his playing is about as interesting
as watching paint dry....er....that may be an insult to the paint.  I
would much prefer an outspoken Wild than a wimpy pianist who is afraid
to say anything for fear of creating "controversy".

Dave DeLucia