From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:26:47 PDT
Jim Tobin wrote:

>Without getting into proofs of greatness, does anyone find that taste for
>Bach makes Telemann unappetizing.

Not at all.  A few years back, I was buying every Telemann vocal works
recording on period instruments.  Although I've cooled some toward
Telemann, I still greatly like many of his vocal compositions.  The
instrumental works I can largely do without; they're fine for what they
are, but I think Telemann wrote beatifully, expressively, and with more
depth for the voice.  Considering everything, he's my third favorite
baroque composer after Bach and Handel.  Rameau, F. Couperin, Planicky,
Buxtehude, Zelenka, and Hasse aren't far behind.  I'm probably neglecting
one or two other composers, but they're likely of that Austro-German
strain.

Don Satz