From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:22:39 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>The problem/challenge is to pick a conductor who "wakes up" the region and
>draws folks into his/her mindset.  I'm talking about charisma, persistence,
>high energy, and a verbal gift of the highest level.  That would greatly
>narrow the field to a few applicants.
>
>When I interview folks for a position, I insure that the applicant does
>most of the talking.  Subsequently, I have a great insight into the ability
>of the applicant to persuade and convince.

This is a most excellent point.  I think that one of the great weaknesses
of our society is its inability to communicate intelligently in either
written or spoken discourse.  This forum is, of course, and exception to
the rule.

Here in Dallas, Andrew Litton has done wonders for the success of the
Dallas Symphony Orchestra.  I, for one, don't particularly care for either
his conducting or his programming, but that is just my opinion.  He
conducts all over the world, I don't.

I believe, however, that his real strength is in his ability to communicate
with the Dallas public effectively about the music and the orchestra.  He
is a very articulate and enthusiastic speaker.  He can make even the most
novice listener feel comfortable when he or she attends a concert.  He is
visible in the community and has a warm and genuine air about him that
makes you like him, regardless of what you think of his podium antics.

Compare this to his predecessor, the late Eduardo Mata, who had musical
gifts to burn, but in nearly 20 years of conducting here, never got
comfortable enough with English to effectivly speak to the audience.
As such, he was loathe to speak in public and came across as cold and
detatched.  Consequently, people in the community did not respond.

Kevin Sutton