From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 05:11:42 -0500
Many thanks to Mats, who wrote:

>Could you recommend a good recording of the 3rd and 5th sinfonies?

I only know of one recording for each of them, but both are excellent in my
opinion:

No. 3 (Vastkustbilder -- Western Coast Pictures)
Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra, Sixten Ehrling
CD Caprice CAP 21364

No. 5 (Sinfonia funebre)
Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra, Stig Westerberg
CD Musica Sveciae MSCD 620

I was aware of the controversy surrounding (and caused by) Atterberg.
What I meant by "[his] reputation had not collapsed as yet" was that, for
instance, his 3rd symphony was performed no less than 35 times between
1917 and 1935.  Then it fell into oblivion, only to be revived by Ehrling
in 1983, when he made his superb recording...  His 5th was conducted by
himself with the Berlin Philharmonic, also by Furtwaengler in Leipzig,
and his 6th, written for Abendroth, was recorded by Beecham (this was part
of the Columbia prize), but also Toscanini, Atterberg himself, and also
Mengelberg and a few other big names.

Indeed he did not completely recede out of music lovers' sight.
Peterson-Berger's symphonies were still harder to find on CD until
recently, but now Sterling has released some of them, and there is a new
recording of No. 3 "Same-Atnam" (Lapponia), a delightful work indeed, on
CPO.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le