From:
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:49:43 -0700
The further we get from the LP era, the less it will be remembered that
Ormandy did record a wide range of stuff and not the standard repertoire
by which he's largely represented on CD.

Second that!  Ormandy was proud of the fact that he made first recordings
of new works as soon as they left the composer's pen.  Most notably was
his recording of the Shostakovich 10th symphony - which he recorded and
was issued in 1954 - not quite a year after it's premiere in Russia.  I
remember listening to that recording at 3 in the morning as a lad of 15.
That experience started me on a love affair with 20th century music which
is still going on.  Ormandy was also the first to record Cooke's first
performing edition of the Mahler 10th

Dave Harman
El Paso, TX