From:
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 21:30:46 +0000

Tami Jantzi, Mezzo-Soprano
William Watson, Tenor
Peter Van De Graaff, Bass
Prague Chamber Chorus
Czech National Symphony Orchestra
Paul Freeman, Director
TT 60:35

Summary Rating: B+

Jan Vaclav Hugo Vorisek was born in Bohemia the same year that Mozart died;
Vorisek, who died early from consumption, also lived the same number of
years as Mozart.  The reason I dwell on Mozart is the similarities I notice
between Vorisek's Mass in B flat and Mozart's sacred choral music; more
later on the connection.

Back in the 18th and early 19th centuries, Germanic culture and music
dominated Bohemia.  For a young and musically talented man of Bohemia to
make a name for himself generally required leaving the homeland for Vienna
or one of the German capitals.  Vorisek had an advantage over others from
his village of Vamberk in that his father was the local schoolmaster,
organist, and choirmaster.  The father helped the son become musically
trained, and Vorisek eventually won a scholarship to the University of
Prague in 1810.  Considering the musical life of Bohemia too limiting,
Vorisek moved to Vienna in 1813.  The adjustment of the move to Vienna was
made easier for Vorisek by virtue of the large 'Czech Connection", a group
of others from Bohemia who had also come to Vienna to enrich their musical
lives.

Vorisek had a fine career in Vienna, particularly as a composer and
performer for the keyboard.  His early death just before he reached 35
years of age leaves us to speculate whether a longer life-span would have
resulted in a greater reputation for Vorisek.  In lieu of that speculation,
we have many solo piano works left for posterity and the two works on the
disc at hand for review.

Recordings of Vorisek's music do not come frequently.  Most recordings
devoted to his music are of the solo keyboard variety.  His Symphony in
D major has been recorded before, most recently by Charles Mackerras for
Hyperion.  Of the Mass in B flat, I am not aware of any other issues to
compete with the current one.

Knowing that Beethoven was a young adult when Vorisek was born, there is
the suspicion that Vorisek was 'behind the times".  However, it's just that
Beethoven was so far ahead of everyone else.  The Vorisek Symphony in D
major is a fine work which receives an excellent performance from Freeman
and and his orchestra.  The Mackerras reading tends to focus on the work's
connection to Mozart and Haydn; Freeman invests the symphony with greater
punch and highlighting of the sudden changes in volume and shifting between
minor and major keys.  In effect, Freeman's interpretation has Beethoven
more as a reference than does Mackerras.  Overall, I consider the Freeman
reading the most idiomatic and rewarding I've heard.

Although the Vorisek Symphony is quite enjoyable, his Mass in B flat is
the main reason to consider acquisition of the disc.  This is a gem which
is finally seeing the light of day.  As I earlier mentioned, the work
reminds me much of Mozart's sacred choral works.  It has great thrust and
exuberance, delicious phrasing and turning of phrases, and a natural flow
which Mozart always excelled at.  Most impressive to this listener is the
beginning of the Agnus Dei which is highlighted by a viola duo that's
simply stunning and totally unexpected.

Freeman moves the Mass along lovingly and with abundant gusto.  The
Prague Chamber Chorus does a great job; the projection, voice quality,
and emotional investment are all at very high levels.  The vocal soloists,
although not very distinctive, do a fine job.  I was a little disappointed
in the tenor and bass voices, but no damage is done since the roles for
the vocal soloists are infrequent.  The great pleasure of the performance
comes from Freeman and the chorus.  Overall, this Vorisek Mass is a fine
listening treat which might not be recorded again for many a year.

Don's Conclusions:  An enthusiastic recommendation for the performances
and the Mass in B flat which is a work which deserves a spot in the music
library of every fan of sacred choral music from the Mozart to Schubert
time period.  Having the best recorded performance of the Vorisek Symphony
in D major just adds to the appeal of the disc.

Don Satz