From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:40:08 -0400
Jim Saunders, alerted by the generous timing of Celi's rendering of
Bruckner's 4th inquires:

>Before I take the $15.00 plunge, does anyone have comment on
>this performance, or on other Bruckner performances by Celi?

I have eight of the Symphonies as performed by Celi/MPO.  And I like
them all very much--but then, I'm a devoted Celibidache fan.  The 4th
is a typical latter-day Celi performance:  impeccably rehearsed, highly
meditative, and, as a result, highly moving.  Nonetheless, my favorites are
the 6th, 8th (and the Te Deum).  Unsurpassed, IMO.  Celi prided himself
on his Bruckner and these three performances succeed in redeeming this
self-indulgence, at least for me.  All the eight symphonies (plus the Te
Deum) that I have are on EMI.  Some are live recordings of rehearsals,
others of performances, proper.  All are very well engineered.  NB, when
confronted by Celi's rather luxuriant timings one should remember that
he insisted on unusually long pauses between movements and that these
recordings come with applause, fore and aft.The price? Yes,it is a pity
that these Celi recordings don't come with more merciful bar codes.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]