From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 10:54:27 -0700
I feel compelled to defend my suggestion about Top 40 classical.  By Top
40 I did not mean that 39 was too few and 41 was too many.  I meant that
the current classical stations programming are directed toward people who
already appreciate classical music and lesser known works are perfectly
appropriate to expand the depth of their knowledge of music.  I do not
however think that this programming will be as "effective" in attracting
new listeners to this genre.  Some classical music is so powerful and
touching that it would appeal to anyone with a heart and over time, this
music has been elevated above the rest, not by economics or politics, but
by the judgment of history.  There is a very good reason why most literate
people on Earth have heard of Beethoven.

But I still hold to my position that a station that played only the
most popular classical pieces would have a greater chance at attracting
listeners to this genre.  And after a while the converts might want to
change stations to the traditional classical programming stations to expand
their knowledge.

Bill Pirkle