From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:29:57 -0700
Norman M. Schwartz wrote:

>Steve Schwartz responds to David Harbin:
>>I disagree.  Do you know how many recordings of standard rep there are?
>>Nobody has the kind of detailed knowledge to reliably pronounce.  Indeed,
>>I remember Neville Marriner on a British program (My Music?) being
>>subjected to a "blind" test of listening to a Handel recording.  He was
>>rather hard on it.  Of course, it turned out to be his own recording.
>
>Of course, but without any listening at all, if NM read the label on the
>Concert Arts disc, as of course did of the 'Gramophone experts', he would
>have recognized it as a scam. "It's not rocket science".

Was the BBC was playing a Concert Artists recording/re recording of
Neville Marriner's own work?  If it was a blind test why show him the
label?  Truly, it would have been a work of genius for a pianist like
Hatto to have recreated a Handel symphony.!!!!  (grin) The point Steve's
making is that it "is" difficult, since a conductor can be mistaken by
his own work.  It really "is" not at all as easy as people seem to think.

Anne