From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 11:39:05 PDT
Jocelyn Wang wrote concerning the Women's Philharmonic:

>The fact that it is only a part-time job does not justify sex
>discrimination.  How would those women feel if they were denied their
>regular positions based on their gender?  Yet, they deny others a part-time
>gig based on theirs.

I essentially agree with Jocelyn and am aamzed at what a tangled web of
work-place discrimination we weave.  Not that long ago, women and minority
groups felt strongly discriminated against.  Then, affirmative action
was initiated to right the wrongs of the past.  Now, white males feel
discriminated against, but the traditionally discriminated against groups
still feel the yoke of discrimination.  So, every group now senses that it
is being hurt in the workplace.  That's equality for you.  Personally, I
consider the affirmative action route a knee-jerk answer to the problem
which has managed to upset most everyone.  I do empathize with the women of
the Philharmonic, but two wrongs do not make things right - the best that
can happen is that everyone gets screwed in equal proportion.  There have
to be better ways to handle this problem.

Don Satz