From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:38:10 PDT
Bill Hong wrote:

>Surprisingly, my impression is that there isn't a whole lot of
>difference in the overall sonorities between Kuijken and Bernstein,
>though of course there are interpretive ones.

My ears notice a substantial difference in the sonority between the Kuijken
and Bernstein recordings of Haydn symphonies.  Actually, I consider the
Kuijken, among the period instrument bands I have heard do Haydn, to be
the most "extreme" in sonority.  The instrumental richness is very low -
crispness is at a maximum.

Don Satz