From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:44:00 +0200
Reuter, WIEN, reports the following:

History first:  Once upon a time, in Wien 1865 the rumours told, that
Anselm Huettenbrenner, brother of the Josef Huettenbrenner, which had
helped schubert with his bussiness, owned the partiture of a symphony
by Franz Schubert.  Representants of the musical society hurried to
Huettenbrenner, who showed them into a room full of notepapers.  From the
table he picked up a partiture and gave them.  After having studied it the
representants found that two moveemnts were missing:  There were a complete
first movement and a complete second movement, but then there were only 9
bars of the third movement, and no 4th movement at all.

Huettenbrenner refused under the following discussions to confess that
he had lost anything.  He said he had got the material that way.  However,
nowadays old resarch showed:  In Schuberts notebooks there has been found
253 bars of the third movement, a scherzo, and concluded from how Schubert
worked there has always been without doubt that there has really been a
complete symphony in four movements:

First, Schubert should never have given the musical society an incomplete
symphony.

Second, we have the note book with the 253 bars.

Third, Schubert always composed that way that he first wrote the melody and
thereafter orchestrated.  The scherzo ends in a middle of a phrase but the
nine bars are orchestrated.

Fourth, when Schubert had used all his notepaper, he always looked for to
finish so he could take a bunch of new papers and put in between the last
and second last notepaper.  The 9 bars of the Scherzo ends exactly where
it should be a bunch of new papers.

So, we have known that we could have been very sure that a whole or
a few bunches of papers has fallen out of the big bunch of papers a
symphonypartiture consists of.

It has always been said that when the missing movements to this symphony
is found, it is one of music historys greatest sensations.

And now it is here!

The italian musicologist Guido Borsalino says to Reuter that he has bought
the score from an anonymous collector in Wien, for a sum that he don't
want to mention.  Borsalino, who has a good knowledge of Schuberts works
has recognized the score as the third and fourth movements of Schuberts
8th symphony, which no longer can be called "The Unfinished".  The first
244 bars of the third movement are identical with the 253 bars (which also
includes the first 9 bars) in Schuberts notebook, and evertything is in
Schuberts handwriting.  Borsalino, who has a secured place in all music
encyclopedias, naturally smiles, and says he can't wait to hear the
treasure he has found being played, and continues:  "I have read the music.
It is wonderful music, Schubert at his best in every note".  Other
musicologists, resarches, and graphologs has is still studying the scores,
but those who have commented says all it ios very unlikely that this is a
falsificate, and we can be 99% sure that we have yet another treasure to
put in our ears.

The papers will tell the details tomorrow.

For the complete broadcast interwiew in German, which I have recorded and
is right now typing down, contact me privately.

Mats Norrman