From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:46:16 PDT
Stuart Karow wrote:

>The Bruggen is my first copy to own of Mozart's Requiem.  As a relatively
>new collector of CM, many might feel I should start with one of the
>standard recordings, but I found this recording to have the emotional
>impact that Don Satz so often expresses about many HIP performances.

I'm very glad that Stuart is enjoying the Bruggen so much.  Being his
first recording of the work and liking it greatly, Stuart will likely
have a warm feeling for this version indefinitely.  I envy him some.  I
haven't listened to the Bruggen very much, but I'll be giving it additional
listenings based on Stuart's views.  As it happens, I'll soon be receiving
another Bruggen disc of Mozart arias on Glossa.

I don't see any merit to starting with a "standard" recording, whatever
that might mean.  Just start anywhere - makes no difference.  I got back
into classical music when my dad gave me a stack of lp's back in the mid
80's; he was terminal and wanted me to have these recordings.  Although
the lp's did not have good sound and the repertoire was not too pleasing,
it paved the way for what is now a great appreciation and priority on
classical music.  One of the recordings my dad gave to me was the set of
Mozart piano sonatas performed by Lili Kraus.  I liked it much, and when
I bought the Uchida set, I was hooked.

Stuart also mentioned that he did not enjoy the Mozart Requiem recorded by
Savall for Auvidis.  I'd have to agree with him.  I think that Auvidis has
now released this disc at $7.99 in the USA.  But even at this price, it's
a dubious proposition.

Don Satz