From:
Matthew Roy Huston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 19:06:15 -0500
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I eagerly bought the final box on LP when it appeared (I cannot love
>the earlier symphonies).  After a few years it sunk in to me that I never
>listened to it anymore.  On digging it out and relistening I relaised why
>- it's horrible.  The kind of performance (acidic strings, dubious
>intonation) which gave "Authentic" performances a bad name in the
>early(ish) days.

I got the same 19 CD set for about US$70 plus shipping and I have been
pleased with it.  The set contains everything that could be construed as
a symphony by Mozart (including some misattributions and early three-part
opera overtures).  I happen to like the "acidic strings"; modern instrument
performances can be sickeningly sweet to my ears, and the music starts
to sound silly instead of masterful.  Deryk is right in that these
performances aren't nearly as polished as what later period instrument
bands produced.

-Matthew Huston