From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 03:37:08 -0400
Richard Pennycuick was wondering how well along Naxos was in their plan to
record a list, published back in (I think) 1996, of repertoire, by 2000.
I think I have that list somewhere myself, and would also like to do the
comparison systematically, not in order to nag a fine label, but as a
reminder of things-to-hopefully-come.

 From memory, though...  they did list the Parry symphonies, and we do have
#2.  Of the Martinu symphonies also listed we have #s 1&6.  Of the Bax
symphonies, #s 1&2.

Ah, here's the list. Dec. 1994, p. 118.  (Not 1996.) For tonight I'll
compare their symphonic plans with reality, for fun...  (it's my hope that
this will all come to pass, for what they list would be a lot of fun!!)
(Note: my source for existing items is amazon.com, not Naxos' catalog-
faster that way, though less accurate. Sorry. Also using cdworld.)

Arensky- symphonies and concerti- apparently nothing so far.
Barber - selection of orchestral works- apparently nothing so far (chamber
music, yes, just as with Arensky.)
Bartok - complete orchestral works, including concertos - we have the
concerto for orchestra and piano concerti.
Bax - complete symphonies and tone poems - we have syms. 1&2 and some tone
poems (Faery Hills, Garden of Fand, November Woods) which is a better than
good start...
Berg - most important orchestral works plus suites from Lulu and Wozzeck -
apparently nothing yet?
Berlioz- orchestral works- we have a disk of overtures, a 'Best of
Berlioz', Harold in Italy/Francs Juges, Romeo & Juliet (poss. with
non-orch. movements? I don't know), Sym. Fantastique, so well begun:)
Bernstein- most important orchestral works- apparently nothing yet.
Berwald- symphonies and concertos- we have the symphonies and the piano
concerto.
Bruckner- complete symphonies- a project well on its way.
Chausson- symphonies (?) and orchestral works- the symphony, poeme and
Viviane are on one Naxos CD.
Elgar- complete orchestral works- best of Elgar, cello concerto, string
serenade, violin concerto, Cockaigne, both symphonies, Enigma Variations,
In the South, Pomp and Circumstance Marches, Falstaff, and other
orchestral works can be heard on Naxos. (Please don't point out that the
Dream of Gerontius can be heard on Naxos; I know it can; I'm restricting
myself to orchestral works here. (and to Best of disks, which are
ambiguous.)

Faure- orchestral works- Masques et Bergamasques, Dolly Suite, and other
works; the ballade with piano; and a Best of Faure CD have been released.

Franck - complete orchestral works- the symphony, an arrangement of an
organ work, the symphonic variations, a disk "volume one of the orchestral
music" (which has the symphony, but I know nothing more about it)...

Glazunov - complete symphonies, symphonic poems and concertos - well, the
violin concerto's on Naxos, the symphonies seem to be on the way 2 at a
time, and 9? disks of "miscellaneous" orchestral music by this composer
that I rate and no one else does are being produced. More, please:)

Hindemith - most important symphonies and orchestral works - apparently
just the Mathis der Maler and sym. metamorph. so far?

Honegger- complete symphonies - apparently nothing yet.

Kabalevsky - complete symphonies and concertos- apparently "just" the
2 cello concerti (but these are good pieces...  I do like the second
especially, and the first isn't bad either- and it will be nice finally to
have a recording of the 3rd symphony, which has never been recorded before
in any format.)

Khachaturian - complete symphonies and concertos - the piano concerto and
concerto rhapsody for piano are available.

Liapunov - piano concertos - not yet.

Martinu - complete symphonies - well, off to a good start.

Medtner - complete piano concertos - all done.  2 was released a while
back; 1&3 is just out.

Messiaen - orchestral works including Turangalila symphony - not yet,
though (again) some piano works are.

Parry - complete symphonies, orchestral works and concertos - just started.

Prokofiev - complete symphonies and concertos - piano concertos,
symphonies, violin concertos, cello concertos, all recorded I think.

Respighi - complete orchestral works and concertos - sinf.  drammatica
recording now on Naxos (and not bad, either!); Saccani-conducted recording
of Ancient Airs and Dances; piano concerto and concerto in modo misolidio;
other piano/orch.  works; the Roman trilogy; missing is a new recording or
transfer from higher-priced labels of the Conc.  Gregoriano, for instance.

Roussel- complete symphonies and orchestral works - not begun.

Satie - complete orchestral works including ballets - not begun, I don't
think.

Scriabin- complete symphonies and other orchestral works- well under way;
first two symphonies at least, other orch.  works.

Stanford - complete symphonies and concertos (yay!  the violin concertos
too? world premieres time!!!)- not begun- yet, I hope.

Richard Strauss- complete symphonic poems- begun (Also Sprach, Aus Italien,
Don Juan, Death & Trans., and a new release of Macbeth & Heldenleben - this
latter due out July 1999.

Walton - complete symphonies and concertos - (including the sinfonia
concertante? which version?) - (ah, silly me- it seems to already .be.
in the series, on 8553869, out May 1999...  and I thought I was being
clever *g*) - well, syms.  1&2 and the viola concerto are out; I thought
the violin concerto was also out but might be mistaken.  So the violin and
the cello concerto are still to wait for, but this series is apparently
doing well.

Anyhow...  that's how things are.  Naturally they've embarked on lots of
projects they had no intention on starting when they wrote their plans in
late 1994, and they've also slowed down their releases.  But with any luck,
they .are.  still working on recording all the music listed on p.  118 of
the December 1994 issue, especially the works never heretofore recorded
(Kabalevsky sym.  3) or never before available in a good performance at a
good price (Khachaturian sym.  1 comes to mind).  If anyone from Naxos is
reading this bit of perseveration, don't take it wrong- I love lists, for
one thing, and for another, these are- at most- some ideas.  I am in no
wise growing indignant if you go in a different direction; the directions
you have gone in so far have been generally quite pleasant to my ears!

Hope this information is useful to the list.

Eric Schissel
http://www.lightlink.com/schissel ICQ#7279016