From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:58:48 -0500
Jeff Wright wrote:

>Everest recordings were popular about 30-35 years ago.  Sir Eugene Goosens
>was a prominent conductor at that time, and made several recordings on the
>Everest label.  They were mid priced LP's at that time, and I believe they
>were a Canadian label at that time.

Belock. I'm not sure if they're Canadian or not.

>They are part of the Vanguard group now.  Like the original Mercury Living
>Presence recordings, the best of them have been reissued in CD format.  I
>believe they were originally recorded on 1/2" 3 track magnetic tape.

Officially, 35 mm

>Their sound was good then.  I have one CD reissue and I am hard pressed to
>believe it was originally recorded in 1960!

Ah, but that was the golden era for recording.  There were many GREAT
records made then.  Including Everests.  With most of them, the later
the pressing, the worst the sound, but Everest's decline was especially
precipitous.  There are some excellent vinyl reissues around of some of
the classics.  They'll knock your proverbials off.

>...  I look forward in finding some of those you mentioned.

The LP of the Antill is very pricey. Incredible sound, though I'm not nuts
about the music.

Roger Hecht