From:
Allan Kohrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 12:58:33 EDT
Of the three versions you mention, the Vegh is easily the best.  Among the
others, the Budapest (early 50's), the Fine Arts, the Cleveland, and the
Tokyo are the most moving.  Try the Budapest if you enjoy a restrained
approach (only Opus 18 is available), the Fine Arts if you like angst, the
Tokyo if you prefer virtuosity, the Cleveland if you want a truly superbe
first violinist.  All in all, I would recommend the Vegh if you can find
it, with the Cleveland a second choice.  But we are fortunate to be blessed
with so many fine versions.

Allan Kohrman
Newton, MA