From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:36:05 -0500
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>It's hard to fault composers as a group, at least for me.  I blame an
>indifferent, incurious public,

For me the question is, why might the public be indifferent and incurious?

>Too many in it look on art as "relaxation."

I am reminded of my frustration when the New York Times changed the name
of it Arts Section to "Arts and Leisure."

What concerns me is that arts organizations pander to the notion of art
as "relaxation."...our new art museum offering yoga classes to the wall
to wall wallpaper music offered by our once glorious local classical
radio station...

Where is the place for those who believe art can be more than just
relaxation?...and for me, when you market yourself as wall paper, you
become wallpaper and are taken for granted...like wallpaper.

Karl