From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 12:48:37 PDT
My good cyberspace buddy William Jenks wrote:

>As I thought about it, the closest parallel I could make to a
>pop/rock producer in CM is to a conductor...

I think that classical recordings have producers with similar functions to
those for pop/rock recordings.  The producer of a classical recording has
his/her hands in all facets of the making of the recording and collaborates
with the conductor on performance and engineering functions.  Which of the
two has more control likely depends on the personalities and stature of the
parties involved.

Could it be that William is mulling over the possibility of giving up the
academic life for the world of production?  Tinsel Town awaits.

Don Satz