From:
Dick Claeys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:27:42 -0800
I travel across the U.S. about once a month, and my routine includes a
small Philips CD player and assorted CDs, plus plenty of batteries, for
the 5-7 hours in the air.  Some lessons learned over the years:  small
ensembles work better:  solo piano, Baroque concerti, and string ensembles
have a fairly consistent dynamic range and aren't drowned out by ambient
noise; in contrast, symphonies from the likes of Mahler and Shostakovich
have long stretches of pianissimos that make tinkering with the volume a
must, followed by damage to the eardrums when things heat up.  Be sure the
CD player has bass boost and anti-shock features.  The former adds warmth
to the music at lower volumes, while the latter protects against skips and
stops in case of bumping or a klutzy seat mate.  And I bring inexpensive
(Naxos or low-cost EMI reissues) CDs along for carrying in my thin-line
slipcase, just in case of mishaps or theft; I leave my most prized items
at home.

Speaking of theft, Italy is tough on Walkmans and portable stereos and
radios; even a backpack or fanny pouch is vulnerable when gypsies or bad
guys are on the loose.  Libraries, shopping districts, and restaurants are
particularly active, so stick with something inexpensive enough that a
theft or a mishap won't ruin your trip.  For me, that means leaving the
laptop behind, unless you're assured that your hotel, host, or itinerary
ensures that you'll either have it or can lock it up at all times.

Dick