From:
Jocelyn Winkler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 23:30:58 -0400
I do not have perfect pitch, but I will humbly venture to say that I have
very good ears.  I skipped most of my 8 a.m.  freshman aural theory classes
in college, yet still managed to ace the tests.  I have a strange form of
"pitch memory", as I like to call it.  I can tell, without fail, if a piece
is being played in the wrong key.  If I pop a CD into my stereo, hit the
"play" button, and sing the first phrase before the music starts, it
will undoubtedly be in the correct key.  And, if you play a note on any
intrument, I will, most likely, be able to "echo" that note on my own
instrument by simply feeling it.  I can't name it before I play it, but I
feel it.  However, ask me to sing you A440 right now, and I am hopelessly
lost.

My father, a trumpeter and my musical hero, has always had ears that amaze
me.  He does have perfect pitch, or pitch memory.  He can tell A440 from
A442.  But it never interferes with his music listening.  He can turn it on
or off, by simply making a mental adjustment.  I can play ten random notes
at the piano simlutaneously, and he can name them all.  Now THAT'S what I
call a good set of ears!

I guess he wanted my ears to be trained at an early age.  I still remember
doing ear training with him while I was "potty training"....  Now it's my
turn to get embarassed.....

Smiles,
Jocelyn