From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:33:11 -0700
Alan Lynn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Along the same lines, a British comedy duo from the 1950's (i think...)
>wrote lyrics for the entire 3rd Mvt.  Rondo of Mozart's 4th Horn Concerto
>which are quite hilarious if I do say so myself.

The immortal Michael Flanders and Donald Swan whose albums "At the Drop
of a Hat" and "At the Drop of (Another) Hat" date from 1959 and 1962 I
believe.

I was brought up on these and in my late teens used to perform quite a
number of the monologues and songs for such varied events as church roof
funding drives -- often singing Ivor Novello and Noel Coward numbers with
the village baker's wife in the second half.

 From memory, this particular piece of doggerel runs:

   "I once had a whim and I had to obey it,
   To buy a French horn in a second hand shop.
   I polished it up and I started to play it
   In spite of the neighbours who begged me to stop."

It goes on (and on) but memory fails me -- too much good living, I guess!

Tim