From:
Wilson Pereira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 22:09:39 -0300
Jee-Sun Huh writes:

>Just wondering how you guys started enjoying classical music

I inherited the interest for Classical Music from my father.  I remember
very well when once we (my brother my father and I) went to see a film and
we stopped in the spot that my father used as his job place.  He was a
technician in electronics and in the late 60s (I was 10 or 11 years old),
the radio and the first turntables were a great deal in the little town
where I was born.  Well, he put a record on the turntable and I listened
to, for the first time, Rimsky Korsakov's "Russian Easter Overture" and
"Sheherazade".  It was really a discovery, those magnificent pieces of
music coming into my ears from those enormous loudspeakers bigger than I
was, the brasses yelling as if they were in another dimension, absolutely
astounding pieces of music...  Of course we missed the film - but so what?
Whenever I hear these pieces they always bring me back that unforgettable
moment of being in the middle of a huge orchestra.  More than 30 years
later I still remember the LP cover ("Sheherazade's"): the sultan has his
arms raised, as if pointing to the sky, where Sheherazade stays in a flying
disc (or carpet).  I think that the main collor used in the LP cover was
red.  Since I've started collecting CM seriously, I've been trying to
find out if that particular recording is already available on its CD
incarnation.  The problem: I don't remember who was the conductor, the
orcherstra or even the label.  Some time ago I tried through this list to
find an answer to my prays, but it was useless.  Someone said that the
recording was Kirill Kondrashin's for Philips, but this recording
(Kondrashin's) is probably from 1965, too soon to have appeared in my town
that date.  My guess: it was a recording from the early days of stereo
(not very sure about it), the late 50s or early 60s.  Fritz Reiner's?
Beecham's?.  Any hint - PLEASE?

Regards,
Wilson Pereira.