From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 13:35:54 -0600
Bill Blank wrote:

>I find music is most often used to force emotions in most movies, good
>and bad.  I would rather a movie allow me to react in my own way, rather
>that having it imposed by music.  In general I find it overused and more
>recently too loud relative to dialog.  For the most part I would rather
>have NO music in movies, except for those like The Red Violin, The Red
>shoes or A Clockwork Orange all of which have music as integral part of
>the story.

Copland used to tell the story of the famous scene in the Heiress
where she is waiting for her lover to pick her up.  In original music,
the audience laughed at that point.  The producer told Copland something
like "fix it." The music was changed to something more dissonant.  Copland
said, "There wasn't a sound in the house." I wonder what the audience
reaction would have been without any music.

Karl