From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 19:42:21 -0500
Sandra Beane wrote:

>I am not one who notices brand names of cellos.  I listen for the sound.
>But my student has been trying out new cellos.  She has a Klaus Mueller.
>She doesn't like it so much.  She went to try out cellos and ran into a
>Carlo Robelli.  She says she likes it better but is worried the only
>reason she likes it is because it is new.  Does anyone know of a good
>"brand" of cello?  or if indeed the Robelli is a better cello?

If cellos are like violas, no two by the same maker are exactly alike.
Furthermore, as you know, the bow is also very important, and not all
bows sound great with all instruments.  A good maker will allow the
instrument to be borrowed for a while, and will allow it to be compared
with others and played in a variety of settings.  Sometimes an instrurment
that sounds wonderful under the ear sounds lousy in a hall, and visa
versa.

Mimi