From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:52:53 -0700
Norman Schwartz:

>Old stuff, didn't CBS/Columbia use the "Columbia Symphony Orchestra"
>name for various East and West Cost, but creditable, ensembles?

Yes indeed.  This was the nom du guerre of the New York Phil, I believe
the LA Phil, and the Cleveland Orchestra.  I heard that the last was
relegated to anonymity because Ormandy threw a fit and didn't want to
be on the same label as Szell or Szell's orchestra.  Columbia put Cleveland
under its own name on the Epic label for years and years.  RCA, because
the Cleveland had signed with Columbia, did a couple of recordings with
them nevertheless as the "RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra" and the "Robert
Shaw Orchestra," usually for Robert Shaw recordings.

Steve Schwartz