From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 23:42:29 -0800
Susan Grisanti <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Why is classical repertoire only producing a few 'crowd pleasers' and why
>are those usually pieces that don't excite the performers very much at
>all? The whole situation is upside down......

I'm not sure which crowd you're talking about.  A crowd of people who
mostly don't listen to classical music will likely not be pleased by
classical performances.  The few pieces which are familiar even to those
same people are the only few which may entertain.  On the other hand, with
a crowd of classical music lovers you could play virtually hundreds or
thousands of pieces which would get positive feedback.

I don't believe I am too worried about a piece exciting me as I perform
it.  I guess I should make this more clear.  If I am performing the Bach
lute suites (the e minor for instance) I am usually so gratified by the
beauty of the work that the technical simplicity doesn't even come to
mind.  I remember playing the Allemande from the e minor suite and
thinking how beautiful this music sounds to me.  Looking at it from a
technical standpoint it is not very difficult at all and might make a
person bored if they are not in love with the music.  This brings me to
my main point.

I don't think a performer will mind the simplicity of a piece of music if
they love the music they are performing.  If they DO have a problem with it
then I have no answer.

Wes Crone ([log in to unmask])