From:
Glenn Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 17:43:17 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Clearly, these youngsters have not made the great accomplishments that
>warrant all the hype.  In the world of real estate, location is everything.
>In classical music, it's - money, money, money!!!

I saw some of the program about the nature of genius (between
programs-intermmission) and again wonder about true genius.  Is it
possible to market a true genius? I mean there are lots of whiz kids (so
they say) who starting playing music at 3 yrs of age and exploited for
what it is worth.  But where are the kids who have some profound connection
with music and exists in some world that others never quite understand
and bring music from this place and everyone knows they know but cannot
put a finger on what it is.

Itzhak Perman started out rather average (no whiz kid it seems) and
he admitted on David Letterman late nite that he was just OK during
his teenage years.  And yet, to me, he seems to have become this channel
of excellence in making music.  Is this marketing or true development
of finding a depth that cannot be taught?  Graumuix(sp) was another who
seem to do no wrong.  I guess what I am saying is that pushing the concept
of genius (music, academic, or science) is not the real thing since
history has shown that the real thing (genius)?  does not always start
out in some prodigious development of extraordinary display.

Glenn Miller