From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:11:50 -0500
Satoshi Akima wrote:

>I am a doctor and all sleep experts will tell you not to do anything such
>a watch TV, and read books, while trying to go to sleep.  Bed, they say
>should be for two things: sleep and ... but not music!

Well, I am not a doctor, but I have never been harmed by going to sleep to
music.  I sleep like a rock and am fully rested.  What about playing music
when you are doing that other thing in bed? (Strains of Bolero come wafting
to my inner ear.....)

>But my final prescription is this: no REAL music lover would even think
>of using REAL music as a mere soporific.  Even the Goldberg Variations
>could keep me up all night.

I have to disagree.  I don't see any reason not to use music (and why
not good music? would we rather have BAD music implanted in our sleeping
subconscious?) for theraputic reasons.  I think that we are leaning towards
snobbery when we make statements like the above.  We whine that so few
people support the arts and then we make them too exclusive for ordinary
people to enjoy.

Kevin (who allows sleeping and that wearing of blue jeans to his concerts!)