From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 18:00:54 PDT
In recent postings, Wes Crone has indicated that Bach is his favorite
composer and that Mozart writes "pretty" melodies and leaves much to be
desired.  In response, Dave Runnion took exception to the description Wes
gave of Mozart's music, declared Mozart the best composer, and indicated
that Bach did not place much emphasis on melody.

I feel torn between these two fine getlemen since Bach and Mozart are one
and two in my musical affections.  There's some validity in what each of
them is saying, and that leads me to my position.  Bach and Mozart are very
different composers.  Leaving the stylistic differences aside, Bach is the
more inward personality; the listener needs to dig into Bach's music to
find all the musical treasures.  Mozart's music ranges from very delicate
to big-boned with his fantastic melodies to the fore-front.  These days,
I feel like listening to Bach most, but the time will come when the more
upfront music of Mozart will be my preference.  But, it does seem that the
span of time I devote to Bach is increasing and that for Mozart on the
downswing.

Don Satz