From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:21:39 PDT
Most Bach cantata recordings have multiple vocal soloists with the
result that no one soloist will either ruin the performance or make it
an outstanding one.  But, in the new DG Bach cantata recording, Christine
Schafer is the only soloist, and the recording falls or rises on her
shoulders.

As for non-vocal particulars, Goebel and his group do a fine job as
I expected they would; Goebel has recorded many Bach works, and his
Orchestral Suites and Brandenberg Concertos are about as good as I could
want.  The recorded sound is excellent - crisp with plenty of richness.

Back to Schafer.  I consider her voice relatively dark and husky in Bach.
That's no problem, but there was a "hooty" quality to her singing on the
disc which did distract from my enjoyment.

For cantata no. 51, I compared Schafer/Goebel to Gardiner on Philips which
was coupled with the Magnificat.  Gardiner is better, and the singing is
also.  Gardiner is more expressive and digs below the surface to a degree
Goebel does not engage in.  I do emphasize that Gardiner's no. 51 is the
best I've heard, so Goebel is being compared to tough competition.

Overall, the new disc is a fine one, but neither the orchestral support nor
the singing meets the highest standards of competition.

Don's Conclusion: Worth Sampling

Don Satz