From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:12:16 -0700
Roger Hecht ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Question.  How good was the LAPO when Mehta took it over? I was under the
>impression it was less than first rank and got much better under Mehta, but
>from 3000 miles away, I have no idea.  I have heard very few, if any, of
>their pre-Mehta recordings.

Good question, but they already had Solti on board when Mehta was appointed
(without Solti's knowledge or approval, which is why he resigned).  So I'm
assuming they weren't toally hopeless before him.

I think we also need to distinguish between great orchestral trainers and
great conductors.  Some combine the two, but not many.

Mehta may be a great trainer, but I've not heard much evidence that he is
a great conductor.

Deryk Barker