From:
Art Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2010 16:11:00 -0700
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>I first encountered the organ version [of Ives Variations on 'America']
>on an old, old Nonesuch LP (before they went upscale)

That would have been "Yankee Organ Music" played by Richard Ellsasser
on the Hammond Museum organ in Gloucester, Mass.  It provided my first
exposure to the Ives, and I still haul it out and give it a spin when
I want to hear it again.  As Steve says, it's great fun.  I was lucky
enough to hear Paul Jacobs play it a few years ago in a recital he gave
for our local music series.  He romped through it with elan, blowing out
any cobwebs that might have taken up residence in the pedal division.
If there were any "Rollos" in the audience, they were thoroughly routed!

Art Scott
Livermore, Cal.