From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 17:54:15 -0700
Don Satz wrote:

>Greatly enjoying a 2-cd set of Jongen's piano music played by Diane
>Anderson on Pavane,...

I haven't heard the Pavane set, but from an older CD of pieces played
by Gary Stegall (Klavier 11032) I share Don's appreciation for this
music.  It's a shame it's not better known.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000009J6J/classicalnetA/

>I recently noticed that Pavane has also released a disc of his first
>two string quartets.

More info please.  I can't seem to locate this...

>Has anyone heard this disc or is familiar with these string quartets?

This must be a first recording.

>Also, did Jongen compose any further string quartets?

According to the "selective" works list in my Grove 6 (the old New Grove),
it appears that he wrote three, Opp.  3, 50 & 67 (1894, 1916 & 1924).
They also mention in passing four other pieces for string quartet.  There
are also a couple of violin sonatas (1903, 1909), a cello sonata (1912),
a piano trio (1897), a string trio (1948), a piano quartet (1902), and
a number of other chamber works.  The Cypres label has issued several
releases of Jongen's music, including the concertos (one for each of
violin, cello - both early works - and for piano, harp - both late works)
and some of the other orchestral works.  I haven't heard them, but they
are on my wish list.

Dave Lampson
http://www.classical.net/