From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2009 19:36:58 -0700
Leo Sowerby
Piano Music

*  Sonata for Pianoforte
*  Suite for Piano
*  Passacaglia

Gail Quillman, piano
New World Records NW376-2 Total Time: 50:15

Summary for the Busy Executive: Big-shoulder-pad music, mostly.

Many Midwestern classical-music aficionados of a certain age have at
least heard of Leo Sowerby, a composer based most of his life in Chicago.
American music critics tend to focus on the coasts, mainly on New York,
Los Angeles, and San Francisco, but a lot happens in the vast spaces in
between.  Chicago has a particularly strong set of composers in its
history: Sowerby, Ruth Crawford Seeger, John J.  Becker, Easley Blackwood,
and (stretching a point) Ned Rorem, who studied with Sowerby, among
others.

Sowerby once stood in the forefront of American music, although he formed
and followed no school.  Many influences flit through his writing without
stamping it.  Not being in New York probably hurt him.  Out of ear is
out of mind, after all, and his reputation undoubtedly suffered in the
post-war period, as did many others in the rise of the international
avant-garde.  Sowerby intriguingly mixes Impressionism, certain elements
of Hindemithian neoclassicism, traces of the Late-Romantic French organ
school.  He is a solid craftsman.  If the music has a flaw, it's probably
a certain fuzziness of personality, rather than anything technical.

A Prix de Rome winner, Sowerby could have had a career as a virtuoso
pianist if he had wanted one.  However, he became hipped on the organ
and, after a certain point, his keyboard music concentrated on that
instrument.  Probably for this reason, many writers think of him exclusively
as a church musician, although he wrote plenty in many other genres.
Nevertheless, one expects a certain canniness about the piano writing,
and in that respect, Sowerby doesn't disappoint.

The Piano Sonata announces its great ambition from the opening bars.
Its immense craft impresses you right away.  Sowerby seamlessly weaves
together various textures and, with a kind of Hindemithian neo-classicism,
goes after the monumental.  Often in its movement, it evokes the late
Beethoven piano sonatas.  As fine as it is, however, I don't think it
reaches that level.  For one thing, there's a curious tonal immobility.
It probably isn't the case, but it seems as if the first movement in
particular doesn't ever change key.  The tonal center of the slow second
movement changes only half-way in.  The fugal finale suffers a bit from
a rhythmically foursquare subject, although Sowerby, to his credit,
recognizes this and manages to undercut the strong left-foot/right-foot
beat with the occasional "glide."

The three-movement Suite is only relatively lighter than the Sonata.
Again, Hindemith lurks as the genius loci.  The first movement, "Piccolino,"
is a prelude and fugue on related themes.  The middle "Maliconico"
("melancholy") broods.  "Avanti" picks things up, hinting at, but never
falling into, fugue.  At roughly 15 minutes, it's a hard piece for
pianists to program - not a sonata and not a throwaway either. I liked
it a lot.

I make no bones about it: the Passacaglia's a flat-out masterpiece, and
according to the liner notes, nobody has performed it before Quillman
for this recording.  The Passacaglia theme itself constitutes a lesson
in composition.  Imposing and fascinating at the same time, it bears
repetition - exactly what you need in a passacaglia.  It resembles in
character the passacaglia from Hindemith's Nobilissima Visione.  Some
thirty-odd variations follow the initial solo statement of the theme
(the piece runs about 11 minutes).  Sowerby indulges his passion for
counterpoint.  I'd call it sensual, if not for the granite in the idiom.
Most of the variations keep the theme in the bass, but it occasionally
pops up in the treble and, unusually, for one memorable turn, in a middle
voice.  Toward the end, Sowerby begins to play elaborate contrapuntal
games, where the theme goes in canon with itself.  The Passacaglia ends
with a virtuosic coda based, naturally, on the theme.  This piece alone
justifies buying the disc.  One could reasonably compare it to Bach's
c-minor Passacaglia, the peroration of Brahms's Haydn Variations, Bloch's
Suite Symphonique, and, of course, the Hindemith.

Gail Quillman actually knew Sowerby (he entrusted his Piano Sonata to
her).  She plays with great intellectual strength.  Her explication of
contrapuntal detail is exemplary, and she makes the overall structures
of these works clear to the listener.  Yet, her playing has - not warmth,
exactly, but psychological depth.  I'd love to hear her Brahms and late
Beethoven.

A quibble: I believe the disc is mis-tracked and mislabeled in the Suite.
It seems to me that the first two tracks are one movement (what I've
called the prelude and fugue of "Piccolino") and the third track, two
("Maliconico" and "Avanti").  The stated timings - 2:33, 2:08, and 9:55
- strike me as eccentric, to say the least.  The timings of roughly 4:30,
5:00, and 4:30 seem much more reasonable.

Steve Schwartz