From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 15:58:10 EST
Deryk Barker writes:

>Folks, if you want to hear the best HIP Betehoven set, forget Norrington,
>forget Gardiner, forget Hogwood and forget Goodman and Huggett ... But are
>you suggesting that Goodmans Eroica and 7th are superior to Erich
>Kleiber's? (Never heard an Eroica by Carlos) I may have to ask you to step
>outside...:-)

Shall it be epee or pistol, sir? Whichever, I'll be informing your
seconds when they call that I'm feeling very eroica, though it's only the
Seventh that I have by Kleiber,on DG.  And, no, Goodman's is not superior
to Kleiber, but its _radically_ different: it's dry, whereas Kleiber's
perspires all over the place.  And, yes, Brueggen is the best HIP, but
Goodman remains the driest.  As a venue for our combat of honor I will be
proposing to your envoys the heath where the witches are wont to meet.  The
time is of your choosing, sir, only provided it's at dawn and that there's
a thick fog.  En garde!

Denis Fodor