From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 23:08:44 -0800
Goodall's Twighlight and Valkyrie: Thanks for all your input on this set.
Can't say how impressed I am with the Goodall's Ring.  Some highlights
include the songful strings in the funeral march, the *whole* scene between
Siegfried and the Rhinemaidens--how it has come to life for me!--(the
Rhinemaidens sound so fresh and young), and finally the Immolation scene:
it's not only thrilling, but transcendant as well.  Hagen's summoning of
the vassals is not as viscerally thrilling as it is in the Solti set, yet
Goodall's is probably more realistically recorded.  If you have the
slightest apprehension about the recording being live, don't.  Coughs are
barely audible and instrumental fluffs are few and far between--and none
in critical moments.  And the recording itself is glorious.

Bach's Art of Fugue with Savall: If Savall doesn't do it for me, I guess
this music will never make sense to me.

Handel's Violin Sonatas with Manze and Egarr on Harpsichord: Nothing
really needs to be said about Manze's unfailing elegance, but I have to
say Egarr's harpsichord is beautifully caught--plummy and crystalline.
And Handel's lyricism is endlessly gratifying.  Try it even if you don't
care for music from this era.

VW's Sir John in Love with Hickox: Ahhhhhhhhh.  Listen to the Scene 1
Interlude on Amazon.com and you'll get a feel for the whole thing.  What
feel-good music.

John Smyth