From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:05:06 -0500
Gerard Gibbs wrote:

>Since it is still quite standard among unionized orchestras-ICSOM and
>AF of M-that a "service" is 2 and one half hours, that defeats this
>theory.  If concert time is 8:00 p.m., theoretically the concert can
>last until 10:30 p.m.  until overtime is called.  In the case of large
>scale choral, ballet or operatic works, an exception is usually made
>whereas the performance can go up to 3 hours.

I am reminded of the days when a conductor would have to cut a work so
it could fit into the alloted time for a radio broadcast...hence we have
a surviving broadcast of abbreviated Bruckner conducted by Koussevitzky.
Since, in those days, the 1940s, so little Bruckner was recorded, that
having the opportunity to share Bruckner with the radio audience would
have been something very special...perhaps making the thought of cuts
tolerable.

I am also reminded of the works that don't get performed as often due
to the added number of players required...some orchestras just don't
want to or can't see that they can afford to spend the extra money.

Karl