From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 14:05:16 -0700
I just receive the venerable and long out-of-print Barbirolli and the Halle
performing Sibelius' seven symphonies and a great many of his tone poems.
The 2000 EMI edition of these late-1960s, early-1970s works has been
digitally remastered to very good effect.

Those of us who have been spoiled by Sanderling's brilliant ability to
dilate every nuance will find the Barbirolli much more mellifluous and
harmoniously blended in the style of Ormandy and the Philadelphia on Sony.
What wonderful a juxtaposition of styles!

Barbirolli, one of my all-time favorite conductors, is at his sterling
best with Sibelius.  The music seems to flow right out of his baton,
effortlessly, poetically, and dramatically.  There's never a moment's
hesitation or the skip of a beat.  The music flows ever so caressingly
like water rippling down a cool-water stream.  And, when Sibelius takes
us aloft, Barbirolli is right there soaring along with us.

For years now, I've been reminded by the good people at American Record
Guide of Barbirolli's excellent Sibelius' performances and EMI's
unwillingness to re-release them.  Now the time has come.  They're here!
No Sibelian will want to be without this 5 CD set.

"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>