From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:04:04 -0800
Deryk and Karl recommend Furtwangler, Scherchen, Kleiber and Bru"gen.

I'm waiting to find a clean box set on the Seraphim label of the Furtwangler
Beethoven.  I know Seraphim isn't the greatest quality, but I don't have
the $$$ for original pressings.  (OT, but if any of you have the first
English HMV pressing of Furtwangler's 9th, I suggest you put it in a
safe deposit box.)

I found two very good copies of the Beethoven 3rd and 7th with
Weingartner/VPO on the Columbia "Entre" green label.  Many raves
about the performances, (from '35), including a MCML local, Scott Morrison,
but not much enthusiasm about the Entre pressings, lol.  I'm not mono-phobic
anymore, but from '35??  Yikes!

BTW: Did anyone try the '50's Juilliard Bartok String Quartets, as they
are available now for the first time in decades on CD?  I'm still reeling
from these performances.

John Smyth
Sacramento, CA