From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:04:16 PDT
Rinaldo Alessandrini appears to the the newest great dirctor of early
and Baroque music.  His recordings uniformly receive superlative reviews,
particularly in Monteverdi.  Hot off the assembly line is a new recording
of Bach's Art of Fugue on Opus 111.

This is a "chamber" version with flute, oboes, and bassoon contributing
in addition to the stringed instruments.  That makes it one of the more
instrumentally varied versions of the work.

Alessandrini is noted for placing his individual stamp on every recording.
For the Art of Fugue, his interpretation is more "festive" than any other
performance I've heard.  I'm not sure that's a good way to go, since the
work is about as serious as you can get.  However, Alesandrini does it
beautifully, and his Concerto Italiano plays expertly under his direction.

There have been many new recordings of the Art of Fugue in the past three
years or so, and I haven't found any of them to be inadequate.  They're on
piano, harpsichord, string quartet, recorders, and chamber w/brass and/or
wind instruments.  Personally, I tend to prefer the work on piano or
harpsichord, but the multiple instrument approach is very rewarding and
provides some variety for the listener.

In terms of instrumental variety, I liken to Alessandrini to Savall on
Astree.  That issue is a more somber interpretation which I do prefer.

Overall, if you are looking for a more festive Art of Fugue than you are
accustomed to, the Alessandrini will fill the need perfectly.  I'm pleased
to have this version, although it is not one of my favorites.  For me, it's
an excellent supplement to Nikolayeva, Aldwell, Gilbert, and one or two
others.

Don Satz