From:
Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:26:19 -0400
Listening to the new reissue of Prokofiev's Fifth symphony by George Szell
and the Cleveland Orchestra (Sony Masterworks Heritage MHK 63124) was a
revelation to me.  I have a heard the recordings by Karajan and Ormandy,
but nothing that compares to this one.  Up until now, the Prokofiev Fifth
was always somewhat of an ambiguous work to me, even though it is powerful
in its expression of wartime anxiety and hope.

Szell imparts to the score a breathtaking urgency, tight rhythms, crisp
attack, and fleeting tempos that make this symphony sizzle in a way I have
never quite heard before.  But what really impressed me for the first time
was the color of Prokofiev's harmonies.  They are seductively made clear
to the listener.  The way the instrumental colors blend is ideal.

The music line that Szell builds is really intense.  The tension that Szell
accumulates is powerfully released in the conclusions of both the second
and fourth movements.  It is absolutely exhilarating, yet emotionally
balanced.

The Prokofiev is coupled with the Concerto for Orchestra by Bartok.  This
is interpretation is more controversial because of the egregious cut in
the final movement.  Szell makes it very convincing, but it certainly is
no improvement.  But if one can get beyond this excision, Szell allows his
players to shape their solos.  Tempos are not quite as fleeting as in the
Prokofiev, but the building and releasing of tension, the tight rhythms and
crisp attack are all there.

My Fritz Reiner remains on the top of my list for Bartok's Concerto for
Orchestra, but I just put George Szell's Prokofiev Fifth on the top.

Mark