From:
Jed Wulliman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 18:31:46 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>In short, I do not, for example, "see" or visualize a river when I listen
>to The Moldau.  I do not see swans when I listen to Swan Lake.

First of all, I agree with you, for the most part (except where you
become attacking toward those you don't understand).  When I listen to
music I see things in my mind, but they are not neccessarily of a physical
nature.  Perhaps what some people describe in physical terms is an attempt
to rationalize the metaphysical truths the music conjures in them.  It's
the same concept as poetry.  I don't like program music, but I love poetry
(and am quite the charlatan poet myself) and some people have that kind of
poetic mind that makes the abstract concrete.  I could be stretching it
here though, this is just a suggestion on my part.

jed wulliman