From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:28:59 +1100
Deryk Barker, apparently in some astonishment, asked:

>Richard, you mean even after hearingh all about the Harper Valley PTA
>(Jeannie C Riley?) you still don't know?

Maybe it's a suppressed memory, but it rings no bells at all.  Perhaps that
chunk of my mental hard drive was overwritten by something like Schubert's
String Quintet.  I can still recall solos from jazz records I heard longer
ago than I care to remember and there are themes from all sorts of CM
lurking in the depths of my consciousness.  I've managed to remember having
once heard a piece by Gavin Bryars called Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me
Yet purely so that if I ever find it mentioned again, I can avoid it very
assiduously indeed.  So am I missing something by not knowing about Harper
Valley PTA? Is it of any social or musical significance? Do I become a
social outcast until I hear it?

Worriedly
Richard Pennycuick