From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 12:31:35 -0800
Thinking back on my unfortunately all too limited number of romantic
moments, I've come to the conclusion that CM really doesn't work for
setting a mood.

First, there is the quality of the music itself.  It makes me feel that
I should be:  in a toga, on a fainting couch, waiting in bed behind a
veil; or on a mountain top surrounded by a ring of fire.  My sublime is
ridiculous enough without sabotaging the Big Moment further with the
introduction of a Wagnerian Soprano.  Talk about Voigtus interruptus....

Not only that, but I'm either jumping up to turn the stuff down, or, to my
horror, I will hear a horn crack or a moment of bad intonation--previously
unnoticed--that causes me to immediately start thinking about alternative
performances.  I know...that is *truly* perverse.

No, as far as setting the mood goes, I'll have to quote Joan Sutherland,
(on her disdain for stage props), and say, IIRC, "Give me a sheet tacked
to the back wall and maybe two potted palms--*I'll* do the rest."

John Smyth
Sacramento, CA
http://facelink.com/j66560