From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 08:28:52 +0100
Javier Artiles wrote:

>So, that's all. Please, give me some recommendations about the Lorin Maazel
>recordings and, why not, about the Mahler's fifth symphony recordings.

You can read my survey of Mahler Fifth recordings at:

   http://www.musicweb.uk.net/Mahler/Mahler5.htm

As you will see, in my opinion the best recordings of the Fifth are
those conducted by Frank Shipway, Michyosi Inoue, Sir John Barbirolli,
Bruno Walter, Rudolf Schwarz and Wyn Morris.  The last three having the
disctinction of being the only conductors to record the complete work with
the Adagietto fourth movement at near at the correct tempo.  Maazel did
record the Fifth but, as with so many of Maazel's Mahler recordings, it is
rather mannered.

Tony Duggan, England.
Mahler survey now contains THIRD Symphony:
http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/Mahler/index.html