From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 19:35:39 -0500
Karl wrote:

>I have several favorite Nielsen recordings, but of individual symphonies
>only.
>
>Horenstein: 5
>Markevitch: 4
>Martinon: 4
>Gould: 2
>Bernstein: 3, 5

I was going to respond in this fashion and never got to it.  Karl has
it nailed pretty much--it's uncanny, actually.  To this, I'd add Previn's
First, maybe the Sixths (a weird piece) of Bostock, Jarvi, and Vanska,
and Berglund's Fifth.

Someone mentioned Rozhdestvensky's set.  Controversial and Mahlerian is
a good description.  It's very slow and romantic, and definitely an
acquired taste.

Interesting but more of a supplement is the Ole Schmidt set.  I like it,
but it has its faults.

Roger Hecht