From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:56:19 -0400
Don Satz wrote:

>Here in Albuquerque, the local classcial station regularly plays much
>baroque music in the morning.  I don't know where it comes up with some
>of the music, but it is generally of marginal quality.  Not much Bach or
>Handel - loads of Vivaldi and lesser lights.  So, with a steady diet of
>Vivaldi and worse, it's not surprising that Baroque music is not thought
>of highly.

Not just in Albuquerque, believe me.  I think there's something in the
union contracts of classical stations, or perhaps it's a freak law of
nature that affects their transmitters, but every classical station I've
ever run into fills up their mornings with this stuff.  No one seems to
have clued them into the fact that it's *hack work,* friends -- the stuff
those guys apparently turned out by the yard to please the aristocrats with
terrible taste who paid their bills.

>There's a great deal of excellent baroque music by composers such as
>the Couperins, Biber, Rameau, Telemann, Le Roux, Froberger, Jommelli,
>Planicky, Albioni, etc.  I never hear their best works on the radio, only
>the throw-away stuff.

 From your keyboard to the station programmers' eyeballs!  (But I would
disagree with you slightly on Vivaldi -- I have come around to the opinion
that his stuff isn't half bad for the most part, as long as you can take it
in small doses <g>).

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]