From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:05:25 -0600
Karl Miller wrote:

>...and I for one, angry that NPR still gets tax breaks and
>government funding.

I think Karl is misoverestimating what NPR gets from the government in
terms of funding.  KERA, Dallas' local NPR affiliate gets about 6% of
its budget from federal grants.  By far and away, the peopl who listen
to NPR pay for it.

It would seem to me that NPR is working by the laws of supply and demand.
The public is paying for the service they provide, and if they wanted
to hear classical music, then they would demand that it be played.  The
public pays for more than 80% of public radio through their donations,
so I am guessing that they are happy with the current format.

Although I would love to see the whole world embrace fine art, good books
and great music, I think we need to remember that these things are truly
for the more erudite and well educated amongst us.  The common citizen
(and I don't mean that condescendingly) simply isn't interested in
Beethoven.

As was mentioned in earlier posts, there are lots of places to find
classical music on the internet, in the record shops etc.  Those of
us who want it have it in abundance, so where's the big crisis?

Kevin Sutton